From:
"J.Lewis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 16:18:14 -0600
Dear Wise Lactnetters,

I am currently on NOMAIL, so if you respond to my query, please do so by
private mail.

I recently wrote a letter to my local newspaper opinion page remarking on
the fact that the local grocery store gives away a free case of infant
formula to the last baby born at the local hosp in the year. I asked that
they consider giving the equivalent ammount of money instead to buy food. I
also mentioned that it is arrogant of them to assume that every family needs
a free case of formula and that everyone chooses this infereior method of
infant feeding. OK, in tonight's paper, the following rebuttal was printed.....

>Regarding the breastfeeding issue that was placed in the paper a few weeks
ago on the woman criticizing the grocery store chain for giving a case of
formula to the first baby of the year, well I would like to say that not
every mother breastfeeds their baby or can.

>My son would not latch on when he was an infant and I switched over to
bottle feeding. So, before she goes and criticizes on feeding a baby formula
she had better think about the other people who would be very grateful to
receive a case of free formula when it is needed the most.

>Also regarding the health issues on breastfeeding, I don't say that I
necessarily buy that, since my son has been just as healthy as other
breastfed babies and we bonded fine like anoy other mother and breastfed baby.

>Name

OK, I plan to write another letter and hit them with some facts and figures.
Especially what the actual cost of artificial feeding is in terms of dollars
to purchase the formula as well as illness, etc. Can anoybody help me out
with this? Including references? I don't think I can let this go. Ignorance
is bliss, so they say, but I don't think I can tolerate anymore of this kind
of ignorance in my town.

I wrote my letter as Jean Lewis the person. Not as Jean Lewis the LLL
Leader, however, many in town know that I am such.  Or, would you just keep
your mouth shut on this? It could get icky...although the facts speak for
themselves, and I don't have to offer any opinions, just facts.

Please help. Remember, if you post to the list, cc me. Thank you!

Jean Lewis, LLL Leader