From:
Heather Reddout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:36:56 -0600
<<She has
been increasing her extra pumping and nursing more, taking fenugreek and
blessed thistle, using RPS, massage, as well as pumping techniques to
increase amount pumped.  All to no effect in the last 2 weeks.  She has been
taking Synthroid and is going next week to get her thyroid levels checked.>>

I just got back from the League Conference in Bloomington and have some
e-mail catch up to do, so forgive me if this has been addressed, but at one
of the sessions I went to, the speaker said that mothers with thyroid
problems should not take fenugreek, as it messes with thyroid levels.  So,
maybe the fenugreek is causing more problems than it is helping to solve?

and off that subject and onto another...
Also at this Conference, I saw something about how the Koran says to nurse
for 2 years.  I find this interesting because several weeks ago I was at a
restaurant nursing my 3 year old, and I noticed the manager watching me.  I
was somewhat apprehensive since I didn't really want to have my first "you
can't do that here" altercation.  Later, he came over to me and asked me how
old she was, and then expressed surprise that I was still nursing.  He said
he was Muslim and that although Muslim women were supposed to nurse until 2
years of age, they seldom actually did and I think he was trying to tell me
how surprised he was to see an American woman nursing a child older than an
infant.  He seemed very concerned that she was 3, and seeme to think that
after 2 years of age it would be harmful and that she would never stop, and
proceded to tell me to put something bitter on my nipples to make her wean.
Later on, he asked me if my other two children (now 8 and 11) nursed beyond
2, and seemed surprised when I told him that they pretty much stopped
nursing on their own and that nursing beyond 2 did not harm them.
Interesting that even though the Muslim "weaning age" is much longer than a
typical American "weaning age" there is still unacceptance for anything much
longer.  Each person or culture seems to have that cut off date and anything
beyond is unacceptable.  This is something that Dr. Kathryn Dettwyler said
this weekend too.

Just musing,
Heather Reddout, LLLLeader, Naperville and Plainfield IL