Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:20:28 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
I'm so pleased to see that this is finally happening. I think it's worth taking a moment to consider the impact Lactnet members - and indeed Lactnet itself -  has had in this effort.

This Call to Action is excellent timing for those of us up here in Canada hoping to convince the folks who drafted our new recommendations for Healthy Infant Nutrition (ages 0-6 months) to use appropriate language.

(And if you are in Canada and reading this and you haven't signed our letter asking Health Canada to extend the deadline for consultation, PLEASE do so now!  - we have 450+ signatures and many are from health care professionals, but we need more of you to sign. http://www.gopetition.com/petition/42101.html ) 

- Jodine Chase

On 2011-01-24, at 4:52 PM, Jeanette Panchula wrote:

> Jessica said:
> 
> Well here I am on page 1 and what does it say:
> “The AHRQ report reaffirmed the health risks associated with formula* feeding and early weaning from breastfeeding. With regard to short-term risks, formula feeding is associated with increases in common childhood infections, such as diarrhea3 and ear infections.2  ...............
> 
> It’s happening, it’s really happening. One step forward to the truth.
> ________________________
> 
> Let's give a great "high five" and CONGRATULATIONS to all those members of the team acknowledged on page 69 ...and MANY OTHERS from the CDC, US Breastfeeding Committee and state and local people who commented and supported this work - it is truly an interdisciplinary team effort.  It is great to see how the writers and reviewers of the final draft "got it" ...and shared it in such an effective way.  Can't WAIT to make a slide on the risks and reference this report!
> 
> However, they not only wrote about the "Risks of not breastfeeding" but also addressing the importance standing NEXT to the mother and working on improving her "landscape" instead of sitting across from her and expecting her to figure out how to overcome the barriers and obstacles present in hospitals, employment and the community.  
> 
> Lately, while giving the Peer Counselor training to the faith-based program A More Excellent Way (www.mewpeers.org) I again became aware of the serious barriers that teens face in going to school and NOT being protected as an employee is.  Teachers tell them "if you leave, I'll have to mark you as absent" and "you're just trying to get away with not doing the work"...  WHAT WORK IS MORE IMPORTANT than bonding and caring for her infant???
> 
> THANKS to all those of you whose persistent "messaging" got heard - reaching the "right" brain of those who hear the importance of meeting a baby's and MOTHER's needs valuing breastfeeding...
> THANKS to those of you who provide research to reach those who are ONLY moved by "facts" - and the "value of human milk" ...and count them 298 REFERENCES!  HOORAY!
> 
> Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
> ...so WHEN can I retire???

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2