Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:59:55 -0600
Content-Type:
Text/Plain
Parts/Attachments:
Text/Plain (14 lines)
I spoke with this mother again today; she tells me she is feeding baby a soy formula; whenever she breastfeeds or gives EBM the baby breaks out in a blistery rash that is severe on her diaper area. She is storing her breastmilk and wants to try reintroducing it slowly. I suggested she eliminate dairy from her diet for several weeks, then try nursing again. She wants to try using a cow's milk based formula and see if this causes the rash, thinking, if so, this would prove it's a cow's milk protein problem. She was told by the pediatrician (after several calls to him evidently irritating him!) " I don't know what it is with women thinking they have to breastfeed.. The rash is gone after getting you to stop breastfeeding, so what are you wanting ? Decide do you want to breastfeed or do you want your baby to suffer with this horrible rash?" I think he was glad to find an "easy" answer for her and doesn't want to do any research or try to find out how to make the breastfeeding work in this situation. I suggested she talk to her husband about the RISKS of formula feeding vs the benefi

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html
ts of breastmilk. 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2