From:
Lynn Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2011 06:28:51 -0600
I agree with Jennifer about the unhappy baby with green stools.  Peristalsis
is an amazing process, and if it is messed up at the front end, that can and
does affect the rest of the gut, all the way to the end.  I was reminded of
this last week when I was babysitting a two year old, who woke up from her
nap screaming bloody murder.  I held her and did all I could do, but she
still had bouts of agony and stiffness, with little breaks in between where
she would almost fall asleep.  Come to find out she had eaten a lot of
french fries at a restaurant the night before, and clearly her body was not
happy with them.  Nursing Mama came to the rescue!  She relaxed some just by
having her mom there, but she knows me very well, so it wasn't a huge
difference, not a magic wand.  When Mom nursed her, though, it was like her
little gut figured out what to do.  A few minutes at the breast and a couple
of good toots, and she was *fine*  It was an amazing transformation, and
probably not one we find surprising.

I would think that for some TT babies, especially if mom has a robust supply
and a strong letdown, nursing would be like using a beer bong for an adult.
 Every feeding, every day.

(For those who have not seen this peculiar form of, well, I don't know what
to call it--it involves running beer through a tube into a funnel in
someone's mouth.  Lots of liquid calories with very little control.)

 For me as an adult to imagine this, I know immediately that it's going to
cause significant distress, physical as well as emotional.  I always like to
think of breastfeeding as gentle and good, but for TT babies, it may well
not be.  Switching her babies to a bottle gave them a way to regulate the
flow, by biting the nipple.  I wonder if it would be a kind thing to
temporarily use EBM in a bottle, for the hopefully short waiting period
until the TT can be taken care of.

Lynn Carter SFO IBCLC
Missouri, USA