From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:59:07 +1000
Hi all
Please be aware that western industrialised societies (particularly the USA
and United Kingdom) may well be unique in their cultural abrogation of
breastfeeding in public.  I congratulate Peggy for her ability to conform to
the norms of her culture that are so hostile to the realities of
breastfeeding and yet to nurse her baby for such a long (culturally
speaking) time.  However, it is important to understand that the appalling
breastfeeding rates observed in the industrialised west are significantly
attributable to the fact (or perception) that bottle feeding is easier to
achieve than breastfeeding is.  This is because 'discretion' (either
covering or planning not to be out at feed times) is really restrictive.  It
requires mothers either to schedule feeds (which practice is not conducive
to the establishment or maintenance of milk supply), to stay away from
public places for two years or more (as recommended by the WHO) or to cover
her baby (many babies will not feed under these conditions).
I am pleased that some mothers can plan not to be in public at feed times
and I am pleased that some babies will tolerate being covered while they
feed.  However, to make breastfeeding conditional on being able to achieve
these things - when many babies feed as often as hourly, will not tolerate
covering and most mothers do not have the middle class luxury of being able
to remain at home for large parts of the day with their babies guarantees
the intractability of high rates of artificial feeding.
Best
Nina Berry
University of Wollongong
Australia