Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 20:32:05 EDT
There are numerous problems cause by early introduction of artificial nipples
as we all know.  I don't want to say that "nipple confusion" is absolutely
impossible, but I do feel it's pretty rare.  Most the babies I see whose
mother thinks the baby has nipple confusion actually has "breast aversion"
from a stressful experience involving either poor positioning and latch or
trying to force the baby to take the breast or inability to get milk.  I also
see a fair number of babies with weak, poor sucks who prefer a bottle because
they can feed effortlessly.  After these babies have oral motor therapy and
if mom has kept up her milk supply they go back to breast with no problem
after sometimes weeks of bottles.  I tend to agree with Chloe and Dr. Jack.
Babies want milk and if they get milk they are happy campers, if they don't
get milk it doesn't take some of them long to decide that the breast just
doesn't do the trick.  Optimal latch-on and positioning can fix most "nipple
confusion" problems quiet quickly.

Warm regards,
Pat Lindsey, IBCLC - Lactation Services  www.PatLC.com
Pediatrics Plus' Lactation Consultant   www.pedsplus.com