From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 10:13:53 -0700
So can it be reasoned that with the rise in BFing and the total inability
to 'measure' the volume of feeds, some nurses rely on devices that 'can'
measure something? They are mandated to record numbers in the charts.
That's why they focus on length of time at breast rather than effective
latch and actual swallowing. All this being a result of dependency on the
use of formula in my opinion.

I don't think we are underestimating the potential problems with jaundice,
but I do think that such rigid rules of 3 hrs under the lights and 30 min
feeding (after all, that's more than enough time for formula feeding)
deprives baby and mom of the crucial element necessary to resolve the
jaundice. Baby will get 'topped off' with 1-2oz formula while under the
lights to keep him sleeping for those 3 hrs. And mom is "made to feel
inadequate" when she can't pump that much on Day 2 to satisfy her baby like
the nurse can with the bottle of formula. Dare I insert the unintended
effect of the "G" word here?

And how many of these babies are labeled "poor feeders" which leads to
forced bottle feeding because on their own, they won't take as much as they
need? They laugh me off when I suggest that baby wanting short frequent
feeds is normal. They don't have time for that. I have heard nurses
complaining about mothers who just don't feed their babies enough.
Sometimes it's true; sometimes it's just normal, frequent, short feeds.
Especially when baby still "poops & peeps" well. I try to avoid spending
much time in the nurseries.

Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ

   I did my OB