Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 07:55:47 EST

LuAnn wrote:

<<Administration has  verbalized
concern over "assessment and developing care plans" as this will  be outside
of the scope of LPN practice in Pennsylvania. Duirng the  time, they are
obtaining theire certification and mentoring, they will be  under direct
supervision from the experienced IBCLC's on  staff.

Does our "professional certifcation" outweigh our state  nursing license? I
currently think that the state would view them as  first an LPN and secondly
as an LC. Any thoughts on how to  sort this out. Does the LPN, need to stop
using that designation in  order to practice in a hospital setting as an
IBCLC? >>

LuAnn, this is an interesting  question.  THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION:   I
think it is a  discussion that needs to be brought up with administration -- an
understanding  that while yes, the person in question IS an LPN, she is also
an IBCLC, and as  such, is expected to assess mothers and infants for
breastfeeding related  concerns and develop an appropriate plan of care.  She has an
advanced  credential in a particular field.

Perhaps you could ask them what  they would expect a non-RN/LPN IBCLC to do.
I think they need more  explanation of what the scope of practice of the
IBCLC is -- AHA!! -- if  you write to me, I'll send you what I gave our hospital
administration when they  were looking for one.  It basically reiterates the
criteria put out in the  Clinical Guidelines for the Establishment of
Breastfeeding During the First 14  Days, and that the IBCLC working in the hospital
setting is expected (along w/  everyone else) to facilitate that process.

You need to be careful about our  "certification outweighing our state
nursing license" because when you are  practicing in a hospital, quite
unfortunately, you are practicing with your  state license first, with the IBCLC considered
an add-on.  What needs to be  developed is a job description for the IBCLC
regardless of her other  credentials, and then pointing out to administration
that her education and  training as an IBCLC gives her the qualifications to do
the job that any IBCLC  is capable of doing regardless of her prior licensing.
 And then you have  to work with the administration's dictums if you want to
continue working in  that facility.....

ILCA is working on developing a  scope of practice that will be acceptable
and international.

Jan  Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
_Lactation Education  Consultants_
(http://www.lactationeducationconsultants.com/)