From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2010 19:51:59 -0600
Hi Angie,
I'm not sure what you need, what you mean when you say you need a resource.
Like a form?
What I have been doing for many years now, 5 yrs in my current setting, is
this: I document on a patient education teaching record on the mom's chart.
There is a place for bf education and you fill in code letters for demo (D),
verbal instruction (VI), written info (WI) and various other codes for how
mom responded, demonstrated her understanding. It takes just a few seconds
to do. If it's a regular mom, no special circumstances, that's all I do in
her chart. But for a special situation, then in the box with the word
"breastfeeding" I write "and pumping for a preterm infant," or "and use of
lactation aid," or "and use of nipple shield."
In the infant's chart, I write on the interdisciplinary progress notes.
Again, if it is a regular dyad I write something like "instructed and
assisted with several feeds. Advised of our services, early f/u program, and
WIC bf services. Obs infant feeding effectively. No lactation risk factors
identified." But if it's a special situation I will be a bit more thorough
in my assessment and plan. We chart once on the mom, the date is there. We
chart daily on the baby. You can keep a supply of progress notes in your
folder or clipboard as you round, and you can write your note quickly and
put it on the chart later in the day.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA