From:
Jean Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 17:34:52 -0500
At 00:09 12/03/97 -0500, you wrote:

><< Yes, but the WHO Code is not legally binding in the United States.  It was
> endorsed by most countries (not the US) at the World Health Assembly in 1981
> but few have implemented or legislated the provisions contained in it.
>
>  >>
>Jean:
>
> It was infact endorced by the u.s...
>
>       Patricia

I was referring to the 1981 World Health Assembly where the WHO Code was
first introduced.  At that Assembly, the United States representative voted
*against* the WHO Code, and according to Elisabeth Sterken of INFACT Canada
who attended many WHAs, continued to do so in subsequent years when the Code
was up for new resolutions.  At the 1994 Assembly the US did not vote
against the Code for the first time, bowing to pressure from the African
block and some of the more progressive European countries.  I'm not sure
whether or not this constitutes an endorsement; they just didn't vote
against it.

The real point is, IMO, that the Code needs to be implemented at the
domestic level through legislation.  Many countries, such as Canada, have
been endorsing it for years at the global level, but doing absolutely
nothing to implement its provisions at home.

More information about which countries endorse and/or legislate the Code can
be found on INFACT Canada's website.

On a related subject, someone was asking about the report Cracking the Code,
produced by IBFAN which documents Code compliance (or lack thereof!) by
company and by country.  Copies are now available from INFACT Canada.
Please enquire by E-mail.

Jean Geary
Fundraiser
INFACT Canda   http://www.io.or/~infacto   [log in to unmask]