From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 18:05:55 -0400
A colleague here , a lactation coordinator at our local hospital has had a
run in with the local Hospital's RD's.

One in particular insists that breast milk is not any better than formula,
and actually went so far as to call the Lactation coordinator, a very
committed nurse,  on the carpet ..reported her to the head nurse of
maternity, saying that this Lact Coor would SACRIFICE mothers JUST for the
sake of bf....the RD thinks that teenage mothers who do not eat an optimum
diet  should NOT breastfeed....that it is better for them to formula feed,
and she indicated that nothing could or would ever change her mind about this.

Is there any data that could help my friend...? She would like to present
some data to the RD and the Nutrition Dept...re: the benefits of bf. Is
there ever a case..or when does it get to the point when a mother is
"killing" herself by breastfeeding her baby..?

When does the situation cross into the danger zone?

Kathleen Bruce, needing hard data for this  dietician who needs attitudinal
adjustment....

Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN, IBCLC (email = [log in to unmask])
"Personally I am always ready to learn, although I do not always
like being taught."    Winston Churchill