Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:08:54 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
First, Liz, thanks for fostering this discussion.  It can be difficult to take the minority view in good spirit.

The first thing I thought about when I read your question was, what about the next baby? I work with many pregnant WIC participants who have formula-fed, sometimes after unsuccessfully attempting to breastfeed, a previous baby.  When we discuss the health differences between formula and human milk, if the mother has had HCPs endorsing formula the mother is less likely to believe what I'm telling her. And handing her a can of formula is an endorsement.  Just as formula advertising claims of 'better' are implicitly 'better than the other brand', but mothers hear 'better than breastmilk', when mothers receive samples, the message is loud and clear that formula is almost as good even if breastfeeding is "better".

So yes, there are conveniences for everyone and you're not encouraging formula-feeding for *this* baby, but you're increasing the chances she'll also formula-feed her next. Or even, if this is her last baby, that she'll tell her friends that formula is good enough.

respectfully,
Marcia in MN

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2