Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:05:23 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
I am sending this from another server to see if it a Netscape problem. Someone please let me know if it is still jumbled.
thanks!
Jennifer

Jessica wrote:
"I think the baby's suck is the problem- too much
lower jaw movement and the lips seem to be very pursed to me.
Any suggestions?"

This is the exact baby who needs to be seen right away by a chiropractor or CST. I know someone suggested a nipple shield, but IMO this is the exact baby who does not need a nipple shield. Nipple shields are compensatory, and in some cases that may be necessary, but a baby traumatized at birth needs to have the trauma healed. She does not need to find a way to live with the trauma. I am so terribly appalled at what we have come to believe is acceptable for our babies. We, as a culture brutalize them at birth, tear them from the hearts and arms of their mothers (who are often too oblivious from the drugs to notice, or know what to do) and then we expect them to just cope! We need to heal these babies so that we have some hope of healing this planet. We are the only ones who are even potentially capable of facilitating this right now, so, IMO, it is the obligation of every single LC to know when to refer to such care (every time a baby cannot suckle), know to whom she can refer and then do it, no matter how many peds throw a fit. Frankly, I don't care how mad the doctors get--I'm already mad at their antics.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

ATOM RSS1 RSS2