From:
Anna Hayward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 16:53:57 +0100
Hi All,
>>It is my understanding that most ABM's are  "adequate" nutritionally for
>>a 1mo (4wo) infant.

There are many different kinds of ABM, as you know, and some are most
definitely *not* suitable for very small babies. Follow-on milk is
designed as a supplement for older bottlefed babies on solids, and so
contains extra iron and higher levels of caseine and sodium. I have read
research that despite it being illegal to sell to babies under 6mo, and
despite clear labelling on the can (which is legally required), a huge
percentage of mothers put their babies on this formula as young as
possible, believing it is somehow a kind of "graduation". Some ill-
informed health-professionals are also suggesting breastfeeding mothers
use the stuff on breastfed babies over 6mo ("breastmilk has no iron",
you know :-^).

It is illegal for ABM companies to advertise standard ABM at all, so
instead, they heavily promote "Follow-on formula", even on TV, for *all*
6mo babies (despite the small print saying breast is best).
Consequently, I know many mothers who believe that their breastfed baby
needs Follow-on formula and it is frequently suggested to mothers as a
way of boosting a baby's iron intake. I had a health visitor suggest it
to me, when my first baby was not gaining well (a problem I now put down
to undiagnosed GER, foremilk-hindmilk imbalance and dairy allergies via
my diet).

> Disregarding the fact that we all know that is still
>>galaxies different than Human Milk, This may be why follow-up formula is
>>considered  OK for 8wo babes.

Sorry not to make it clear - I assumed you have the same products in
USA. It should not be considered safe for an 8wo, and the fact that such
a statement went unchallenged by a health professional absolutely
horrifies me. They might as well encourage mothers to feed evaporated
milk with iron tablets!

The NHS is supposed to be promoting breastfeeding. As a public health
service, we cannot continue to pay the millions each year it costs to
treat ABM fed babies. The NHS is supposed to treat patients according to
need and be impartial - they are not supposed to be effectively
advertising Farley's or SMA! Reps should have *nothing* to do with the
patients - you don't get insulin reps sitting in diabetic clinics! It is
completely unethical for health professionals to be seen chatting to
formula reps and helping them hand out samples - it gives totally the
wrong impression. I'd bet you a pound to a penny that all the mothers
that gave up breastfeeding that week (and there will be a few, since the
breastfeeding support is so poor) will be using Farley's or SMA formula,
depending on which rep they spoke to. Two years ago, it was Milupa,
after a rep "got to" all the hospital staff and they started telling
women that Aptimil (their starter formula) was "almost as good as
breastmilk because it has the same long chain fatty acids.

I am just thankful my health visitor is the sort who is open to learning
and likes to make sure she gets her facts straight!
--
Anna H. (Mummy to Emma, 17-1-95, Alice, 11-9-96, Samuel, 25-4-98)
mailto: [log in to unmask]