From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 1996 19:47:15 -0700
The interesting part of this article is that the parents are suing the
hospital in large part for depriving their baby of his mother's colostrum.

 Headline:   Couple got wrong baby; they sue.   By Dan Eggen

   A Casey couple was handed the wrong newborn at Iowa Methodist Medical Center,
and cuddled, posed for photographs and even nursed the infant before the mistake
was discovered, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday....

...a nurse handed the couple an unidentified infant...
They were told it was their new son, Payden.

   The Willms "then began the bonding process" and posed for family photographs
with the baby, according to the lawsuit. Jeannene Willms had gone so far as to
 breast-feed  the infant before it was taken out of her arms by a nurse.

   "I think I gave your husband the wrong baby. I need to take the baby," said
the nurse, who is not named in the lawsuit....

   The lawsuit says the mistake irrevocably hurt both the couple and their son.

   The couple's "bonding process was unduly altered and their infant son,
Payden, was deprived of the benefit of the first nursing and any immunoglobins
and/or secretory antibodies which would have ordinarily been transferred to
him," according to the petition.

Copyright  1996  The Des Moines Register, Inc., February  2,1996

Arly Helm                                       [log in to unmask]
(MS, Nutrition & Food Sciences, CLE, IBCLC; LC for IHC)