Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 09:55:06 EDT
Mary Kay writes:

<< My mother has told
 me some really good stories about using packer's pine tar salve to "draw" a
 boil to a head. >>
Ah yes, pine tar etc... I was just thinking that we often hear the word
"draw" meaning that the tar or oil seems to pull the icky stuff out, but Im
guessing that what might actually be going on is that these substances are so
thick, that they effectively seal the heat in for a long time, increase local
circulation, and allow the body to push that stuff toward the surface to get
rid of it. I would think the trick is to be careful so that the circulation
is increased but not drive local inflammation so high as to make things worse
instead of better... or does that not seem to happen in an otherwise healthy
person?
Judy LeVan Fram, Brooklyn, NY