From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 18:49:28 -0700
The common practice now is that tap water is just fine. City water is
considered and safe to drink, so no need to boil it to mix ABM. No
reference to certain areas of the general metro area that may get their
water from wells. Wells have to be tested also, but who knows what's
happening between tests. One well-heeled section of our metro area reported
- after the cleanup - that traces of jet fuel had been found in their
city's water!! I wonder how many nursing bottles were mixed & fed before
that piece of news was released. I collect news articles about local water
problems. Some day I'm going to present them to someone at my hosp. along
with copies of studies / reports / articles, not just citations. Just
waiting for the right time...

I keep looking for references to lead in water; brain damage from lead; how
much it takes to cause this problem; how much is in the water so I can run
the numbers. All references I've found so far relate to lead-based paints.
Haven't found anything that gives a measurable range to cause damage. Any
mention of lead in water doesn't have the numbers to go with it, so far.

Also trying to gather info on fluoride in water. AAP says "no supp" of
fluoride for babies >6 mos old - but our metro water is fluoridated. I need
a range of numbers to know whether ABM-fed babies get enough in 6 mos to
cause any measurable problems.

> Phyllis:
>  I watch a physician I know mising formula for her adopted daughter... she
> put SOME in the bottle and added tap water.
>   Patricia

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC