From:
Beth Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 00:00:06 -0500
On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 15:02, Carole Jernigan wrote:
> Beloved Lactnetters,
> I must second the wisdom of Teresa Pitman, encouraging
> Ann Perry in helping a mom sort out a physician's
> advice.

I find this issue less difficult when I consider my own personal and
professional ethics.  I'm not an IBCLC so I don't have an official code
of ethics, but my self-determined ethics are very strong.  I tell my
clients that this is so.  When they ask me about advice they've received
that differs from suggestions I make to them, I explain what my training
has been and what I learned during the course of that work (and my
continuing education).  "That's interesting information.  This, however,
is what I learned in my training..."

As a result of my ethics, I can't let anyone proceed with erroneous
information, no matter what the source.  Imagine a pharmacist looking at
two dangerously conflicting prescriptions written by the same doctor for
the same person.  Is the pharmacist going to be worried about stepping
on toes or about not putting the patient in danger?  Why is it different
for us?  Is it because of gender?  Because this is "women's work"?

regards,
.Beth
perinatal educator, pp doula
--