Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 15:03:26 -0700
I am one of four IBCLCs practicing at the hospital
where this mother(s) delivered.  Our group makes daily
(7 days/wk) rounds, consulting with all post-partum
patients every day they are in the hospital.  Over 75%
of our mothers are discharged with a follow up home
visit ordered in  one or two days.  We do these visits
(7 days/wk) as well,  which include full physical
assessments of mother and baby, weight check of baby,
and observed feeding.  The cost is absorbed by the
hospital; the patients do not pay for the home visits.
 We also maintain a 24 hour lactation line, accessible
to mothers for answers to their questions or concerns,
and teach breastfeeding classes for expectant parents.
 We are very proud of the program we have created and
hope to continue to improve it.
   The statement "the hospital has no LC from this
afternoon on" is inaccurate.
                 Pam Bartholomew RN, BSN, IBCLC
                 Good Samaritan Hospital
                 Corvallis, OR