From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 08:38:16 -0400
Hi Martha,

Had a case like that once - the baby was about a year old and refused
anything but breastmilk.  Everyone was after the mom to wean so the baby
would eat - and was blaming her because of course, if she wasn't bf, the baby
would eat solids, right?  Problem was baby was anemic and doc felt she really
needed to eat something at this point.  Turned out mom (and everyone) was so
anxiety ridden about this baby eating that they were trying all manner of
coaxing, threats, hovering - whatever.  I suggested cutting up small bits of
food finger food size, putting it on her high chair tray when the family ate,
and essentially ignoring her.  When mealtime was over, she would be taken out
of the high chair, but have the food available for her.  Not to make any fuss
over eating, and continuing to bf ad lib.

Worked.  Baby started eating -- mom quit bugging her -- and everyone got
happy including the doc when the hgb went up.

If you've been contacted by a behavorial therapist on this issue, I'm sure
she's already explored this possibility, so that prolly ain't it.  but, it
might help someone else.

Guess the moral of the story is we shouldn't make food an issue, because as
we know, we can't control children through food - though they can control us.
 (Look at the number of anorexics....)

And now I could go on and on about Parent Controlled Feedings and assorted
parenting programs that teach parental control of infant feeds, but if I get
on that soapbox, I'll never come up for air, and I do have one or two things
to do today....

Bye for now!

Jan