Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2013 12:58:33 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
I am torn in posting this message but want some input.  Working with a mom that has abused meth amphetamines, cocaine, cannibis throughout pregnancy.  Tested positive for Ccoaine and cannibis at delivery and then lied about this.  Not actively being treated, as she was kicked out of her drug treatment program for not following the expectations and rules.  I had said to the RN's on the floor that breastfeeding shoudl be discouraged for this woman is an addict that is not being treated nor successful with past treatment.  I went by guidelines set forth in the AAP, ABM protocol #21 for drug addiction, CDC and Tom Hales Meds and Mother's milk listing all of these drugs as L5 and breastfeeding is to be discouraged.  She had agreed to bottlefeed until one of our IBCLC went against every thing that I said and stated that this mother can breast feed and should be encouraged and helped her to breastfeed.  In my mind she does NOT fit the criteria of breastfeeding as safe, but I feel it is extremely unsafe and hazardous.  One of my coworkers who is also IBCLC stated I need to address this with the director and possibly take it to the IBCLC code of ethics and report her.  Baby is having a tough time with withdrawal, seizures noted, now on morpihine...I am worried sick about this baby being exposed to his mother's breastmilk.  Input????

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2