From:
Gena Kus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 06:44:43 -0800
    Regarding the comment about how powerful words can be (the woman who hung
herself in response to the idea that we Americans just don't nurse in
public)--
      Let's not think that anyone caused her to do that.  While it might have
been the straw that broke the camel's back, let's not forget that she
probably had other things going in her life (major life change, moving to a
new culture, etc.) if she became suicidal over one thing.  And  she certainly
could have asked around and seen if this one woman's idea of what Americans
do was truthful in all cases.  The list goes on as to why she might have
taken the one woman so seriously.
    And as far as a LLL leader making a woman feel guilty if she wants to
leave a bottle for convenience for her baby, I go back to the  old Dear
Abby/Ann Landers idea that you can't make people feel guilty, they make
themselves feel guilty.  How many people would scoff at the idea of feeling
guilty about that and then leave the bottle anyway...like water off a duck's
back.  Some people are  just more sensitive than others.
    Of course, again there are many factors (cultural and otherwise) that
influence how we feel.
      I loved the recent post about how we redefine our culture minute by
minute type of thing. I would like to imprint that on my brain!