Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 21:33:57 -0500
When a mom has a yeast imbalance with sore nipples and baby has thrush and
yeasty bottom, some of us recommend gentian violet for her nipples and for
baby's mouth.  Then we tell mom to get a prescription of oral antifungal
for herself.  Why doesn't she use gentian violet for her systemic yeast?
If nystatin is poorly absorbed into the blood system, wouldn't g/v do as
well, or better, for her?

Is it because she wouldn't want to go out to the grocery store with a
purple mouth? I'm sure that in times past when g/v was THE treatment for
yeast, adults used it orally too.

I decided to recommend that mom, dad and baby all treat with gentian violet
orally, while mom put it on her nipples for the soreness. (Helped within
hours.)  They are "good sports" and are laughing at their clown faces.  I
suggested that the parents put some g/v into a small amount of water and
swish in their mouths, gargle, then swallow.

I'll let you know how it comes out.  They are people who would use nystatin
or diflucan only as last resort, so I came to the plan of treating everyone
with g/v.  If the dog will drink it we may let him join in the fun.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee
mailto:[log in to unmask]