Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:21:03 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I was hoping the article about galactogogues was going to be something really useful, but I am not surprised that it wasn't.  I think caution recommending them is prudent, but I also think it is important how you word it when informing moms that these things have not been proven to be effective in well-designed scientific studies.  I try to be sure that they understand that, in many cases, it is that there just haven't been such studies done, and not that there have been studies that have found that they weren't effective, if you know what I mean. 

I also agree with Wendy, that galactogues should not be used as an easy fix when there are other things that need improving.  Most of the moms I have contact with have adopted their babies and need all the help they can get, when it comes to milk production, but I try very hard to put emphasis on getting the baby feeding well at the breast, regardless of what amount of breast milk the adoptive mom is producing.  A recent trend that has concerned most of us "old-timers" has been to put the focus on galactogogues and pumping, rather than on getting the baby nursing well, on demand.  I have been accused of saying that milk isn't important when, actually, putting the focus on having the baby suckling effectively and spending several hours a day at the breast maximizes milk production.

Aloha,
Darillyn 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2