From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:23:02 +1000
The discussion has been interesting but I've yet to see much in the way of
argument put forward to support the idea that increasing professionalism of
the IBCLC is better for breastfeeding women and babies? I'm sure these
areguments exist but they haven't been seen on Lactnet yet. I question
whether the future where the IBCLC is as respected as some of you want it to
be will result in the situation where, along with her breast pump, special
pillow etc every new mum will have her IBCLC lined up for after birth
because that is necessary for breastfeeding. Personally, I would rather the
situation where new mums don't need an IBCLC because they've seen their mum,
sister, friend, next door neighbour breastfeed and they 'know' how it's
done. It's normal. And if they have problems they can pop along to their
local health care nurse and she will know how to help her or to her Dr or
where ever  basically because breastfeeding is normal and anyone who deals
with breastfeeding women is knowledgeable about it!

Greater professionalism may result in more money for those working in the
field but it may not result in greater empowerment of women to breastfeed.
It has been seen so often in history that when a particular field becomes
professional, unless those within the field fight it tooth and nail, the
ordinary person is disempowered. Both education and Church are cases in
point. Look at the history of the medicalisation of birth and breastfeeding
last century. Do we want a different version of the same story? The work of
Ivan Illich in this area is worth reading.

So here's the question again? Do you want greater professionalism of the
IBCLC or fewer women who need an IBCLC. Unless you are very careful about
how it's gone about the two may be mutually exclusive. Again, I have no
vested interest in this except my interest in seeing breastfeeding
normalised!

Karleen Gribble
Australia