From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2011 22:04:21 -0400
Let me start by saying that I am not an IBCLC, and don't think I will ever
become one. As a LLL Leader, I have more than 30 years of experience in
helping mothers, and still spend a considerable amount of time working with
mothers and babies (home visit yesterday, two phone calls today, for
example!) as well as my writing.

I do have concerns about the new requirements. What I would like to see is
actual evidence that these will improve the outcomes for breastfeeding
mothers and babies. Do we have evidence, for example, that taking courses in
CPR or medical terminology or sociology or any of the required items leads
to more effective LCs? Do we have evidence, for example, that having taken
these courses leads to a higher percentage of applicants who are able to
pass the exam? If we don't have that kind of evidence, I think it would
better not to make these changes and instead to carefully consider what
evidence we do have about helping mothers breastfeed.

I have heard in the past (and don't know if it is still true) that as a
group, La Leche League Leaders tend to score very well on the exam. I do
know that there is considerable evidence that the kind of support La Leche
League Leaders provide is linked to increased exclusivity of breastfeeding
and increased duration of breastfeeding. (I mention LLL because that's the
organization I belong to, and which is most active here where I live, but I
know that there are other peer support organizations who are equally
effective. It is the KIND of support that is important - support based on
skilled, empathetic counselling, the experience of having breastfed, and the
focus on sharing accurate information.)

So it seems to me a real loss  that the people who are, according to the
evidence, very effectively helping mothers with breastfeeding, are for the
most part now being excluded from becoming IBCLCs.

Teresa Pitman