Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 07:37:15 -0500
I usually prescribe Oxytocin Nasal Spray, 40 units/ml, one spray each
nostril 2-3 minutes before feeding or pumping. disp 5cc.  Has to be mixed
up by a compounding pharmacist, and in our area can cost
$50-60/bottle.  This amount lasts a week or two, depending on how often
they're feeding/pumping.  Have never had anyone need it longer than
that.  Side effects are uterine cramping (like menstrual cramps).  Do not
use if mom pregnant.  It works by helping "condition" mom's own letdown
again.  Have had a couple of moms tell me that after a few days, just
taking the bottle out of their purse/cabinet etc. made them have a letdown,
but they did associate it with picking up the baby also.
Becky Saenz, MD, IBCLC