Date:
Sun, 31 May 1998 09:08:14 +0000
To whom it may concern,

When I saw your website, I was most surprised to see a drawing of a
mother bottle feeding a baby.  This is not what I would have expected
from an organization that is supposed to be promoting healthful
eating.

Good eating is learned early, and the first food a child should be
getting is breastmilk, by breastfeeding.  Many health professionals
are working hard to overcome a bottle feeding mentality in our society
which is one of the greatest obstacles we have in promoting and
encouraging mothers to breastfeed.  Obviously, whoever designed your
website is also afflicted by this bottle feeding mentality.  How much
better it would have been to have had a mother nursing her child!

I refer you to another website, which includes a paper listing studies
on the "risks of artificial feeding".  You should check it out.  The
risks to both mother and baby on not insignificant.  It would be a
good thing if you considered the implications of that drawing.

http://www.erols.com/cindyrn/drjack0.htm

Please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss this further.  I
remain,

Yours truly,

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC (paediatrics)