From:
Julie Conaway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:26:21 -0500
I just wanted to share with everyone a surprising and redemptive discovery I made this weekend.  It is purely anecdotal (hopefully enlightening to you), and long!

I am fairly new to this profession, working now as a hospital based breastfeeding educator; I will sit for the exam in July.  I have been reading postings to this list and have learned incredible amounts from all of you.  The recent postings regarding ankyloglossia, especially differentiation of types, have brought this anomaly to the forefront of my mind and I have been much more aware of it in my practice.

This weekend, my son (age 14 1/2  years) was talking to me and happened to make a noise with his tongue.  I saw the underside while he did this, and thought, "Wow, what a prominant frenulum!"  (Is that something only a lactation consultant would ever think?!!) I asked him to stick out his tongue for me, and when he did, what did I see at the tip?  A very distinct heart shape!!!  I asked him to stick his tongue out as far has he could, and he could only curl it over his bottom lip and onto his chin.

I had a terrible 1 1/2 weeks of breastfeeding this child!  He was able to latch and suck with a tremendous force (or so it felt), and I had horrible nipple pain and damage.  He was fussy all the time and was not gaining weight well.  I reluctantly made the decision to switch to formula, and he was finally satisfied and I could let my nipples heal.  It was a huge relief at the time, but I was always regretful that I gave up after only 1 1/2 weeks.  I chalked it up to being young (21) and not having any support (zippo).  I actually had intense pressure to stop; I have very small breasts, and my mother and husband were convinced that I could not make enough milk to satisfy him.  I also learned this weekend that my mother had given him bottles behind my back!

So, all this time I've blamed myself for being young and naiive and terribly ignorant!  I had little confidence in my small "nonproductive" breasts until after the births of my 2 daughters, whom I breastfed successfully for 6 and 8 months each.  To learn now that my son has a pretty classic tongue-tie is actually very satisfying and redemptive.  I didn't have a prayer of successfully breastfeeding him without a skilled practitioner identifying this problem.  I had no lactation education in the hospital or available for follow-up, so without that kind of support I easily believed the well-meaning advice of my hubby and mom, and turned to formula.

His tongue tie has remained hidden all these years.  He was able to take an artificial nipple without problem, and he never had any speech difficulties....except he never has been able to trill the 'r' sound!

Sorry this is long.  I'm just so amazed at this discovery!  I have always found anecdotal experiences to be enlightening, and hopefully this will highlight the importance of early diagnosis of ankyloglossia.  I also hope to inspire all of you wonderfully supportive people to 'keep on keepin' on' when giving encouragement to young and first-time moms who may or may not have that encouragement at home.

Julie Conaway, RN

PCRMC Breastfeeding Educator

573-458-7353

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail communication and any
attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for
the use of the designated recipients names above. If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this communication in error and that any review,
disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its
contents is disallowed.

If you have received this communication in error; please notify
Phelps County Regional Medical Center immediately by telephone at
(573) 458-8899 extension 4357 and destroy all copies of this
communication and any attachments.