Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:10:27 -0500
>Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 21:14:55
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: B Tate <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: B-12,chromium,opc's
>
>Dear Dr.Hale, Dr.Lawrence, and anyone else with info,
>
>Isn't it fabulous to have such a vast body of knowledgeable ones to access!
>
>Out of lurkdom here with some questions about some dietary supplements that
are being marketed in my area. I'll TRY to be brief.  One of these is called
Thermo Chrome 5000 with chromium picolinate and L-Carnitine. It contains
sida cortifolia concentrate (with 12mg natural occuring ephedrines), white
willow,ginseng, ginkgo Biloba, ginger, kelp, gotu kola, beet powder, saw
palmetto, hawthorne berry, l-carnitine, boron proteinate, chromium
picolinate. Thermo Chrome is touted to help with energy levels, wt loss,
arthritis, even lupus, etc.

>The next one is called OPC-3 (oligo proanthocyanidins) and contains grape
seed, red wine, pine bark, and bilberry extract with bioflavonoids(citrus
extracts).It is supposed to help overall nutritionally- some are using it
for attention deficit disorders and going off of ritalin!

>Finally, an isotonic B-12 formula containing 120 mcg Cobalamin(B-12), 400
mcg Folic acid, 40 mg magnesium carbonate, and 99 mg potassium carbonate.
B-12 is supposed to boost energy levels and help with depression.

>I have a mom nursing a 15 mo old who eats 3 meals off the table plus
grazing all day (like toddlers do). Mom works part-time 2-3 12hr shifts
every 7 days and pumps2-3 times per shift. Babe will take maybe 1 bottle of
EBM during her absence. When at home, however, she nurses ad lib, maybe 6
times a day and once at night.  This mom has a history of depression (never
Rx'd with drugs) only with psychotherapy, and a weight problem.  With BF,
she was back to below prepregnant wt the first week postpartum but has
gradually put back on about 20 lbs, which makes her about 60 lbs over ideal
wt. With an incredibly BUSY toddler, she finds herself with no energy and
frequent bouts of depressed mood. Her sister has had some good results with
the above mentioned supplements for mood elevation and migrianes so she
wants to try them.  Are these safe???? For her? For baby? At that age, how
much does a toddler get??  Sorry this is so long but I wanted to give as
complete hx and info as possible.

>TIA
>Diane Tate, RNC
>
>P.S. Please e-mail me privately asap as well as to the list, I am having
trouble with my server. ([log in to unmask])