Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 10:31:13 -0700
>Baby is thriving, contented and feeds well from both breasts, she has no
intention of weaning but worried about >the long term antibiotics and the
fact that the lump's not resolving.  Any ideas.  I'm afraid I wasn't much
help >to her.

One of the first moms I observed had something very similar happen.  Only
she had recurring mastitis in one breast that also wouldn't resolve with
antibiotics.  She too tried all the "tricks" to unclog a duct to no avail.
The lump finally did resolve after puncturing the duct (I did not do this
myself, I observed a more experienced LC).  The duct, when punctured
produced what appeared to be curdled milk in a long thin stream.  In her
case it must have been one of her main ducts because that breast has never
been able to produce as much as the unaffected breast.   She still nurses,
over a year later, and still has recurring mastitis problems on that side
occasionally.

Perhaps there is another LC in your area who has preformed this and can
direct the mom and you in how to do it in the future if she still has
trouble.

Melisa