Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2014 22:15:38 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I agree, I have searched before for actual studies which showed stimulation of nipples during pregnancy caused labor and I was not able to find anything factual. I kept thinking as I was looking for the research that if nipple stimulation did start labor then we would have mothers who were instructed on how to do nipple stimulation (which is natural) and be able to skip the all-to frequent use of Pitocin. The only tad bit of literature that I found worth while was that IF mother was in labor then nipple stimulation could speed labor. 
As long mother is not on precautions for early labor then I say as well put baby to the breast. It is likely mother would need to use a supplemental nursing system until her full milk production comes in. If there is a risk of premature delivery then I would likely not suggest this but would instead highly encourage the parents to use an alternative form of feeding - finger feeding or cup feeding. I would stay away from a bottle because there is a higher risk that it may take baby much longer to go to the breast willing after a fast easy milk flow. Maybe still putting the baby to the breast 1-2x a day just for practice. 
I also like the idea of looking for donated breastmilk and asking the birth mother if she would be willing to pump (as long as there are no concerns about her 'activities' ie drugs). 
There are organic formula's available: Organic Nature One and Organic Earth's Best

Jessica Callahan RN, IBCLC
USA, NC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2