From:
"Lora L. Horn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 22:16:57 -0700
Lactnetters,

    While working on a paper, I kind of accidentally came across this
reference and found the end of the abstract very interesting..This study was
done on Pakistani women and their infants before and 7 years after a
nationwide vaccination program was started, and tested both serum IgA titres
and the levels in breastmilk.

Zaman S; Carlsson B; Jalil F; Jeansson S; Mellander L; Hanson LA
Specific antibodies to poliovirus type I in breastmilk of unvaccinated
mothers before and seven years after start of community-wide vaccination of
their infants with live, oral poliovirus vaccine.   Acta Paediatr Scand,
80(12):1174-82 1991 Dec

    The part of the abstract that I found interesting was:

The wide variation between high (greater than 10,000) and low (less than
500) individual breastmilk IgA antibody titres observed during various
seasons could be of consequence for the breast-fed baby. Colostrum, which
was also found to have significant neutralization capacity, might interfere
with the OPV now often given on the day of birth.

    I am going to get the article on my next trip to UCLA library, which
will be very soon, but the fact that colostrum may have the power to
INTERFERE with a vaccine fascinated me, and I was wondering if anyone knew
of any further references, and if this could have the same possible effect
with Hepatitis B vaccine which is now often given the day of birth or
shortly after.  Having a very limited knowledge of immunology, I was
wondering if this could be explained...

Lora Horn
LC in training