From:
Jill Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 22:39:16 -0500
        Karin Caldwell mentioned in a seminar on Friday about how we use the term
"breastfeeding" and we all know it is more than a feeding.  Nursing, of
course, means more than a feeding.
        In my 1970 dictionary, breast feeding, breast-feeding -- not listed.  So,
breastfeeding is a relatively new term ??  Is breastfeeding vs. formula
feeding a different message than nursing vs. formula feeding?  Nursing(more
than a breast -- brain is involved, heart, lungs -- the whole woman's body
-- not just her breast)               Formula(less than a breast)
        I'd like to get input from as many countries as possible.
        1.  What term(s) do you use in your native language to talk about
breastfeeding/nursing?
        2.  What, specifically, do those terms/words mean?
        3.  Happy to hear from fellow/sister Americans as well, as we all come
from such diverse       backgrounds! (please give your state as we have such
different bfing rates in the US depending
            on the area of the country you're from)

        I would like to build a list and keep it for use during world
breastfeeding week at our libraries, etc.  I want to hear from you
personally about how you remember the term(s) growing up and how the
term(s) are used now in your culture. (let me know if I have permission to
quote you & your country or if your comments are annonymous)
        Please e-mail privately:    [log in to unmask]

(from 1970 dictionary:  breast(1) - mammary gland, front of body between
neck and abdomen, THE SEAT OF EMOTION & THOUGHT (Bosom), breast(2) -
confront, contend with resolutely
        Nurse(1):  nourishing, woman who suckles an infant not her own, woman who
takes care of young child, one that looks after/fosters/advises, skilled
training in caring for sick under supervision of a doc....
        Nurse(2): nourish, rear, educate, promote development or progress, manage
with care or economy, take charge of and watch over, care for and wait on,
attempt to cure by care, to hold in ones memory, to use carefully to
conserve energy)
        TIA
Jill Lund, RD, MS
St. Louis, Missouri USA, Local WIC Agency