From:
Anne Merewood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 00:40:54 -0500
I have just started working at a hospital as a volunteer 2 mornings a week
helping bf Moms (motivated in part, I admit, by the need to amass those all
important pre-exam hours). This hospital has a 15% breastfeeding rate and a
large inner city population with lots of teen and minority Moms. Their only
bf resources are hospital pumps, pump company tearsheets, and lots of
samples of L......h. No paid LC, no IBCLC nurses, no bf classes. I think we
should be able to get grants to help this situation, especially considering
the low bf rates and the lack of programs. I am thinking funding for
educational materials, to pay someone to teach classes, to help uninsured
premie Moms with pump rentals, to get support for bf teen Moms, etc. Do any
of you know any good sources for grants that you are willing to share? I
have the state book of grantmakers but am thinking more nationally. March
of Dimes? Any suggestions would be helpful...
Anne Merewood
Nursing Mothers Councilor