From:
Toby Gish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 1995 08:02:18 PST
.Some words about birthing practices in Israel....All wonen
are given a birth grant when they are discharged from
hospital...regardless of race religion etc. This was
originally instated in Ben Gurion's days (1948) to encourage
births. In Israel we have a relativly high birth rate among
Jews and Arabs...although this is declining..and the money is
very welcome. The grants are paid by the national
insurance...sort of like soc. sec. Women who deliver at home
do not receive this because homebirths are not approved by
law.(by the way all mothers get a paid 3 monthe maternity
leave). One reason for not legalizing home birth at this time
is the lack of back-up support...no flying squad...etc. BUT
we have a network  of wonderful midwives who do homebirths.
My neice wanted a homebirth and I objected because they lived
in an out of the way village far from a hospital...so we did
the next best thing...and birhted with a private midwife in
Misgav Ladach in Jerusalem...in their birthing suite...it was
beautiful and wouldn't you know she had retained placental
fragments...Within a minute the midwif had an iv in
her....she phoned for a doctor who was there in a second (by
the way any medical equipment was not in sight untill we
needed it....we held baby Noa until she returned from the OR
and Noa was returned to her moms chest....the three of them
spent the night on the floor and went home the  next
day...when I
 saw the placenta and saw my neice begin to BLEED...I was
grateful that she had chosen this option. OBviously I am not
suggesting that everyone will have complications...I had
always dreamt of a homebirth...I think we will get there one
day.
--- On Thu, 28 Dec 1995 12:56:42 -0500  Automatic digest