Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:22:27 -0700
I would be interested in some facts on this subject as well - I have been
supporting a mom for over a year now (through LLLC) that has never been able
to achieve sufficient milk production to meet her daughter's needs;
regardless, they are both very pleased with their ongoing nursing
relationship (and mom went back to work a few months ago too!).

I have been telling her that she may have a better experience with
subsequent children, mostly due to the expansion of lactation capacity
during pregnancy and her hard-won knowledge about how breastfeeding works,
but as with most things, different individuals have different outcomes (and
I'm really just guessing at this point).

It's not even necessarily true that a woman with breasts that appear
hypoplastic would be unable to fully meet her baby's nutritional needs -
with enough skin to skin and frequent nursing during the first two weeks,
she might be able to.

Unfortunately, even women with 'normal' breasts struggle to achieve normal
breastfeeding in our culture, so the challenge is even greater for women
with insufficient glandular tissue.

Ingrid

Ingrid Tilstra
La Leche League Canada Leader
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant