Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 17:58:32 EST
The comment was made:

> This particular physician is
> > being very difficult, saying that my identifying this and suggesting the
> > mother have it evaulated is "never to happen again!"  She stated I am out
> of
> > line in my practice, and this procedure is "outmoded" and "unnecessary."

I have a question which is totally non-breastfeeding related in regards to
tongue tie.  Think of how often we run our tongues over the outside of our
upper teeth -- or try to get a piece of food out of a molar.  Think of
licking our dry lips, sticking our tongues out in frustration, or fun.  Think
of ice cream cones and lollipops.  Think of Michael Jordan w/ tongue tie.
Not a pretty picture, right?

There are many many reasons for clipping a frenulum.  The comment that "it's
there, so it must be there for a reason so don't clip" is one of the worst
I've heard.  If a baby had an unsightly mole, would the physician refuse to
remove it for the same reason?  And I could (Kathleen -- don't jump on me)
ask them if they tell parents that under no circumstance should they
circumcise for the same reason.  (This is NOT, I repeat NOT to start a
discussion on circumcision).  The point is, and I'd like to ask our MDs in
the group -- how do we overcome this mindset r/t tongue tie?  I had a
physician tell me basically the same thing -- he'd never countenance it until
he read a legitimate study in Pediatrics involving 1000 breastfed babies with
tongue tie -- half clipped and half not clipped and the results compared.

This is SO frustrating and so unnecessary.

Jan, RN, MA, IBCLC -- in Wheaton, IL
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com (under construction)