Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:15:05 EDT

Jay  says:

<<I just  reread the study.  21% of babies were switched from donor milk  to
preterm formula.

These were babies 23-29 weeks gestation with mean  of 27 weeks gestation.
This is certainly not my area of  expertise.>>

One wonders if the donor  milk had been donated from mothers of preterm
infants if there would have been a  substantial difference.  We are talking
micropremies here -- not 32 or 33  weeks.  We know that the milk of a mom of a
preterm infant is different  than the milk of a mom of a full term infant.  Donor
milk is a compilation  of all sorts of milk of all sorts of aged babies.  Those
babies that were  getting MM were getting milk that was *their* age -- and met
their needs.   I guess I'm not terribly surprised that the DM didn't
completely meet the needs  of these micropremies.  However, I do think it is quite sad
that the media  has jumped on this, and some folks are now extrapolating this
info to mean *all*  preterm infants need formula, not DM.

Sigh.  There will  always be naysayers in every crowd.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, Wheaton IL

_Lactation Education  Consultants_
(http://www.lactationeducationconsultants.com/)
_My Mother of the Bride  Blog_ (http://www.motherofbridebyjan.blogspot.com/)