From:
"A. Bon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 23:35:03 +0200
I think it has something to do with the basic attitude in the whole medical
world, that is, that 'methods', 'treatments', and pills are the corners of a
docters toolset.

And breastfeeding is no method or treatment or a pill (unless put in a
bottle and can be measured). Breastfeeding is an attitude. In dealing with
breastfeeding you have to deal with persons, mothers, their attitudes, their
emotions, not with daignoses, and surgeries, standard treatments, etc.

OTOH docters are so used to be confronted with feeding problems and as a
remedy to recommend switching formula's that if breastfeeding is seen as
just another way of feeding, they are used to recommend switch feeding on
the same way as they do with formula feeding.

And yus, I agree with Katie Granju that the big money may play a role too.

Maybe the docters on LactNet could shade their ligth on this?

regards,

Annelies Bon