From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 07:24:18 EDT
Dear Friends:

Reading this discussion about storage of containers of human milk in
hospitals makes me sad. The attitudes manifest a deep belief that  human milk is some
horrible, dangerous fluid, full  of dreadful things that will crawl out of
plastic containers and  attack anyone that is nearby. I see this attitude in
audiences. People refuse to  believe the CDC and want human milk put in lead
containers. I see this  attitude in day care centers, some of which in the late
80s in my City would  refuse to admit breastfed babies; nowadays, some day care
centers want to charge  more to admit a breastfed baby to pay for a dedicated
refrigerator.

I have been working diligently in my teaching to combat this  attitude.
Audiences are surprised to learn that human milk is the safest  substance one can
receive from another human being, because it can be  pasteurized. Organs, blood
and semen don't work if they are boiled, yet the  public at large tolerates
those dangers. I read last year about 4 people that  contracted HIV through
organs that all came from the same donor. Blood and semen  are still risky as
transmitters of viruses.

Another example of cultural paranoia..............when will the public
appreciate the wonders and health benefits of human milk? How long will it  take?

sigh.

warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
craniosacral  therapy practitioner, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania USA
_www.myspace.com/adonicalee_ (http://www.myspace.com/adonicalee)

favorites at AOL Food.