From:
Annie Versteeg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:26:43 EDT
In a message dated 7/30/03 12:27:23 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

> While we certainly
> have attitudes towards pacifiers with regards to interference with
> breastfeeding, we need to keep open minds to new research that helps explain
> behavior.

We also need to keep in mind that some people who have done everything
'RIGHT' still lost a baby to SIDS.   And when they hear some of these comments they
feel the guilt all over again.   It is important for ALL parents to understand
that there aren't any 100% guarantees against SIDS, that there is a
difference between SIDS and apnea etc.   A dear sweet friend of mine was holding her 7
month old baby in her arms, he looked up at her, he inhaled and exhaled and
that was it, he was gone.   She knew CPR, she breastfed on demand, co-slept,
didn't smoke or drink, did not fit ANY of the criteria for SIDS, and still her
Oliver died.   And yes, it was SIDS.   When I called the SIDS foundation years
ago when the back to sleep program was first being implemented, I asked for
information on non-'crib' sids.   The woman told me a story of a baby dying of
SIDS in a car seat and other places.   I try to educate all the parents I see on
the reality of SIDS while telling them of the precautions to take.   Has
there been any gene work done on this?   I keep thinking these babies must have
something in common, like a genetic marker??   Or something they out-grow by a
year...
It is a very tender subject
Annie VerSteeg IBCLC

Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed.
Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with Love, Grace
and Gratitude.