From:
R LOCKYER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 10:19:28 EDT
Posting for friend...

From Debi Page Ferrarello, RN, IBCLC
          Treatment of neonatal hypoglycemia in breastfed infants

A pediatrician friend of mine is requesting articles related to
appropriate treatment of hypoglycemia in breastfeeding neonates.
Seems she shook up the pediatric department by suggesting that these
babies be allowed to breastfeed (gasp!) and she is requesting data to
back her up. I haven't found much in the literature.
I did suggest that some (most?) of the hypoglycemia we see may be
iatragenic due to mother/baby separation, and that when
supplementation is deemed necessary, cups, spoons, syringes or
droppers may be used. I have also found stuff questioning the
accuracy of screening methods, which I will pass on.
I am looking for articles about breastfeeding and hypoglycemia, as
well as "Baby-Friendly" treatment protocols for treatment.