From:
Hannah Joyner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 08:35:37 EDT
Dear wise folks,

What follows is a common story but with a small twist.

A friend who is physician has a 5-month old baby.  She has been back at work
for about three months.  She is often on call at the hospital at night and of
course works fairly long days as well.  Her uneven hours complicate the
scenario.

Her baby will not take a bottle and routinely refuses a cup, etc., by pushing
it away.  My friend says the nanny down the street can feed the baby with no
problems but her own nanny, who she says is wonderful with the child, can't
do it.  Neither can her husband, apparently.

The baby is small--under 3% on the pediatriation's chart--and my friend is
uncomfortable with the idea of the baby nursing when she is home and not
consuming much else.  Also, she is uncomfortable with the idea of totally
unrestricted nighttime nursing in the family bed since she says she needs
some sleep in order to perform at work.  (The baby has not literally lost
weight.)

She says she has tried "everything"--and whenever someone suggests something
else she gets frustrated and angry.  (From what it looks like to me, she
still has multiple options left.)

She has no formal support network for breastfeeding and working and states
that she doesn't have time to find or attend such a network.

My friend, I think, might play up her concerns with me and with my husband as
we are the only lactivists in her life....  She wants to make sure that we
are aware of the difficulties of breastfeeding, I think.

Perhaps she is struggling with the conflict she is feeling between mothering/
breastfeeding and her time-intensive career.

I would like to be as supportive as possible.  Any advice for dealing with
the surface-level problem at this point?  How about the deeper issues?

Thanks,
Hannah Joyner, PhD