Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:55:14 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Thanks to those of you who responded helpfully to my post regarding supplements and ulcerative colitis. As a member of a health care team that strongly advocates breastfeeding I feel a huge sense of responsibility to the mothers who ask me to gather information for them . I believe that part of empowering women can be achieved through education. I asked for information about how some herbs might affect breastfeeding,  not whether or not this mother should give her baby  formula! I don't think that thought has even crossed her mind. This mother delivered 35 week gestation In Vitro twins one of whom died several days after birth of unexplained thrombocytopenia. She has suceeded at breastfeeding in spite of overcoming many many barriers. (too long a story to go into here!) Because of this, she is understandably cautious about everything. I believed her request for information to be valid and deserving of  a better answer than "its got to be better than formula" 

I was especially puzzled about the post refering to formula as "extracts of eyeballs". (I cannot imagine how it might be helpful for this mom to know that!) I was hoping to hear from some of you about the Ginko, Licorice Root, Slippery Elm, and Cat's Claw in the supplements. Are these herbs commonly used in breastfeeding mothers?  Are there side effects she might need to watch for? The rest of the ingredients I felt fairly comfortable with. 

Thank you,

Holly McSpadden IBCLC

Holly McSpadden IBCLC
[log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2