Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2014 21:34:48 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
In observing babies self-latching I have come across babies who will bob on the nipple but not (i'm guessing) get the necessary stimulation to latch on.. they just seem to bob infinitely on the nipple, and cry in frustration, even when their mouth is going up and down on the nipple...

in one particular case we tried creating a nipple sandwich (mothers nipples were flat but definitely not inverted) but i think the tension in the areola confused the baby more...

i've also seen where baby does this and eventually draws the nipple out but in several other cases each time baby just bobbed up and down on the nipple and became increasingly frustrated.

i suggested sucking skills in the hopes of getting baby to extend his/her tongue more to get the feedback she/he needed to latch on.. but does anyone have any tricks to help baby receive the stimulus they need to latch on.. any reason why baby isn't receiving that stimulus.. ?

on a related note:
i'm really struggling at the moment with babies who have been clipped and have been told that there is no tongue tie present but are still having a lot of tension in the mid-line of the tongue (dimple in middle of tongue, underside of tongue flanged at either side when trying to elevate, tongue not coming across gum line when self latching, strong line down tip of tongue etc)  ---and of course seeing me b/c of nipple pain, slow weight gain, clicking etc

in one particular case i observed a hard bit of skin under the tongue and the aforementioned tightness... but when mother when to dr he said no tongue tie...

but in all these cases..mother was assured that no tongue tie was present... i don't want to send mothers on a wild goose chase, but after body work, self-latching, sucking skills exercises etc.. what else is there to do???

any and all thoughts on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

warmly
georgia
lay breastfeeding counselor, uk

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2