From:
"Henry, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2002 18:10:48 -0700
I for one am leaning toward circ timing affecting breastfeeding - depending
on how well the baby was nursing before.  Using my small sample of 3.  Son
#1 - never latched well after birth, was circ on day 2 before leaving the
hospital - never opened well after that.  Went from 8 lb 1 oz to 7 lb 1 oz
at 1 week old.  When he finally started getting the hang of nursing, he
caught on quick and gained 2 1/2 lbs in 2 weeks.

Son #2 (baby girl between them) - wouldn't latch after birth - was an avid
tongue sucker.  Thankfully being a LLLL and remembering the words of a wise,
vetern Leader in the area about tongue walking - finally got him latched
well (with a lot less work than before) around day 2 or 3.  He was circ on
day 6 (while sucking on my finger) and nursed as good as before.

Son #3 - latched well from birth, was circ'd on day 2 (also while sucking on
my finger) and nursed well after also.  Both son 2 & 3 were home birthed so
circ date was set by us (and doc schedule) - not routine.

Babies have so much to learn when they are first born if anything else is
going on nursing becomes too overwhelming.  It's the same with too deep and
aggressive suctioning (some babies won't open).  I like pointing out that
nursing well at the breast is something babies must learn - rooting and
sucking are reflexes, but having the nipple positioned correctly in the
mouth must be learned.  Probably another component of the "nipple confusion"
or whatever we want to label it.

Just my humble opinion.
Felicia Henry