From:
Mary Renard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 17:51:19 -0500
Cindy Curtis wrote:

>Have any of you heard this?????  I dont think its true? Is it?
>
>cindy
>--- On Sun, 19 Jan 1997 13:27:50 -0500  [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
>>I've heard that a BSN would be needed for the Lactation Consultant
>>certification starting this year, but that's the only one I've heard
>about.
>>  M.Pimley, RNC

If the certification referred to is the "gold standard," certification as an
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, then NO.  This is not
true.  The eligibility pathways for taking the IBLCE exam remain the same.
(Write to IBLCE for more information; include your snail mail address.)

There are certification *programs* where students complete a series of
classes and receive "certification" at the completion of those classes.
However, the certification is not independent of the course provider and is
not recognized worldwide as an independent certification, the way the IBCLC
certification is.

Mary Riley Renard, RN, BSN, IBCLC
CERP/Recertification Coordinator
Int'l Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE)
P O Box 2348
Falls Church  VA  22042-0348  USA
Tele 703-560-7330
Fax 703-560-7332