From:
Barbara Berges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 20:18:52 -0700
Elisheva wrote:
"A mom of a thriving, exclusively bf 8 week old, born full term, called me
today.  Her ped said at her 2-mo well baby check that baby's lips look pale,
wanted to give iron drops.   Mom (who has read a thing or two) hesitated, so
ped gave a slip to have a blood test.  Told her that "above 35 is fine, 33
or
34 is borderline, below 33 is definitely anemic" and the baby really would
need supplementation.  Mom called me to ask whether this is correct.........

Second, the books (Auerbach & Riordan, BAB) say that normal hematocrit at 3
mos is around 12 gm/dl.  Can anyone tell me what measurements the doc is
using (33 what?) and how it compares?"

The 35 number refers to hematocrit, while the 12 number refers to
hemoglobin.
Hematocrit is the % of red blood cells in a blood sample.  From this number,
iron sufficiency/deficiency is estimated.  Hemoglobin is the actual protein
that carries the iron in the red blood cells.

Barb Berges BS, RN, IBCLC
Rochester, New York